The OMAX Compound Biological Microscope (M82ES): Perfect Balance of Quality and Price
The OMAX Binocular microscope provides students and researchers with a
unit that can stand up to more expensive models, but at a price that is
under $200. It offers high quality objectives, sturdy metal
construction and an intuitive design. It offers a perfect balance
between price and quality and can hold its own against higher priced
competitors offered by Nikon and Olympus.
OMAX has been manufacturing microscopes for 47 years and is a large
and well known Asian manufacturer of a wide range of products.
The Omax 40X - 2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope (Model #
4331885897, Part # 4331885897, M82ES) is a best seller. This microscope
came to our attention for several reasons, including its suitability for
college students, high school students, home school use, clinical
examination, labs and for advanced applications. It is also a flexible
platform since it is simple to add a digital microscope camera for
photographic images or for live video viewing. It also has a darkfield
accessory which can shift to a darkfield microscope from a brightfield
You can see detail on slides such as the nucleus, cell walls and cell
membranes. We also know of medical professionals that use it to view
tissue, blood urine and fecal samples.
Minor assembly is a non-issue such as inserting the eyepieces and attaching the power supply for the illuminator.
Omax M82ES 40x - 2000x Lab Binocular Biological Compound LED Microscope Review
The OMAX Microscope has several features that make it a great student or teaching microscope:
- 8 magnification levesl (40X - 80X - 100X - 200X - 400X - 800X -
1000X - 2000X (note 1000X is the maximum magnification required for most
home uses, with higher levels not providing much more resolution.)
- Variable LED intensity transmitted illumination
- NA1.25 Abbe condenser wiht iris diaphram and filters
- A dimmer controls the amount of light that escapes from the base lens.
Installation and Operation of the Omax M82ES Microscope
Pros and Cons (Based on Our Experiences and Consumer Reviews)
- Mostly metal construction with few plastic parts
- Stage has an X and Y scale making it easy to mark coordinates of each observation point
- Good optics for viewing fungi, protozoa, bacteria etc.
- Main objectives can be removed for upgrades or replacements
- Ocular objectives can be moved further apart or closer based on individual preference
- Able to attach an ocular camera
- Condenser can be adjusted vertically that an be removed and replaced with a darkfield condenser
- 5 year warranty against manufacturing defects
- Some users reported support issues with company, poor quaility control and problems with the fine focus.
- The objectives arrive pre-installed, but may not be set for optimal
operation. For example, the focusing rack stop screw will need to be
adjusted to keep slides from being pushed into higher magnification.
- Manual only available online as a PDF.
Are You Shopping for an OMAX Microscope?
If you don't have your microscope yet, here are some to consider at Amazon and eBay. (I may earn a commission if you buy one, at no extra cost to you.)
Amazon has a large selection and fast shipping for OMAX microscopes in all price ranges.
Check out new or pre-owned OMAX microscopes at
eBay. You can sometimes find a great microscope at a lower price when
you buy pre-owned. Just be careful to buy from a reputable seller who
has checked the microscope for condition.
The Omax M82ES microscope (40X - 2000X Lab LED Binocular) is a well
made sturdy microscope. Online reviews are overwhelmingly positive,
reinforcing our perception of a quality microscope at a value price. We
believe that you will be pleasantly surprised at the professional level
value received for a price under $200. This is not a toy.
Students, home school, hobbyists and basic professional use such as for Vets.
Compare to the AmScope B120.
- OMAX Rubber Eyecups to improve the eyepiece comfort
- OMAX 60X Achromatic Objective Lens (spring) for Compound
Microscope). The purpose of this eyepiece is that it can achieve 850X
magnification without having to use a less convenient 1000X which
requires the application of immersion oil.